• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Plagued by nocturia, early morning awakenings

rolodex propaganda

Bluelighter
A few months ago I began whgat some would call a normal sleep schedule so that I can work 9-5. I go to bed every night at 10, with my alarm set for 7. As my body got into the new rythym I began waking at 5 instead, which is now an every day thing. I wake at 5 and am totally unable to fall back asleep. What to do? I'm 20 and on suboxone, and almost lost my job for falling alseep at a meeting one morning I woke too early.

Stay awake until midnight every night, then you should get up at 7? But then, I'm absolutely hopeless at controlling my sleep schedule...

I too arise much earlier than most. I'm typically up around six, sometimes five, no matter what time bedtime was. I've learned it's easier to make sure I go to bed early enough than to try to fight it and sleep in. Sorry that isn't much help.

Have you tried black-out curtains or a sleep mask?

i get up an hour extra early intentionally, so that i can have an unrushed breakfast and watch an episode of some tv series before heading out. i wake up fully this way, and can't recommend it enough.

I can't necessarily recommend my dad's solution, but he has the same problem, and he "fills in" his lost hours by taking an afternoon siesta. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

i have like the opposite problem... i can't for the LIFE of me get to sleep early. I wake up early, stay awake all day... then just as I am starting to get sleepy around 8-9pm I go thru this sleepy period and then boom if i dont fall asleep then im up and awake. its like the nighttime wakes me up or something. i can sleep like 3 hours a night and after 9pm im AWAKE and energized to the point where i wont be able to fall asleep til ineveitably after 3am. weird.

i have like the opposite problem... i can't for the LIFE of me get to sleep early. I wake up early, stay awake all day... then just as I am starting to get sleepy around 8-9pm I go thru this sleepy period and then boom if i dont fall asleep then im up and awake. its like the nighttime wakes me up or something. i can sleep like 3 hours a night and after 9pm im AWAKE and energized to the point where i wont be able to fall asleep til ineveitably after 3am. weird.
Do you do stimulating activities (computer, reading, TV, music, so on and so forth) around 8-9p? Try not to if so, see if it helps.

If I eat within 2 hours of going to bed I have a lot of sleeping problems.

I've thought of trying a sleep mask since I seem to awake as soon as the sun.sets. has anyone had success with this?

I've thought of trying a sleep mask since I seem to awake as soon as the sun.sets. has anyone had success with this?

I used a sleep mask for a lonnnng time as I used to stay up 'til 2, 3 in the morning and sleep 'til nearly noon. Makes your face a little warm if you get anything plush, but if you get a simple one it should do the trick. Takes some getting used to. But for $5, what's the harm in trying it?